Victoria Airport Authority as the Terminal Service Provider for Victoria International Airport (YYJ) is subject to the Accessible Transportation for Persons with Disabilities Regulations (ATPDR), portions of which were to come into effect June 25, 2020 but have been postponed to Dec 31, 2020 due to COVID-19.
Our obligations under the act are the following sections:
- 3 - Application
- 4 - Communication of Information to Persons with Disabilities
- 15 - Personnel Training for the Assistance of Persons with Disabilities
Accessibility Questions or Requests
- To contact us with any accessibility questions, requests or concerns, please reach us at Accessibility. We will reply promptly.
Arrival and Check-In
- Parking lots are located in close proximity to the air terminal building and offer designated accessible parking spaces for people with special needs. These spaces are closest to the terminal building and crosswalks. View our printable Parking Guide - PDF.
- Designated curbside areas are available for dropping off passengers with reduced mobility.
- Air terminal building entrances are equipped with automated sliding doors.
- The departures check-in area is equipped with designated priority self-service check-in kiosks for a person with a disability.
- Lowered check-in ticket counter ledges have been incorporated into the counters for wheelchair accessibility.
Security Screening and Personal Assistance
- Commissionaires are located throughout the air terminal building and are available to assist passengers if needed. They provide site security services, offer directions, can identify locations of TTY telephones, assist with obtaining wheelchairs, and can provide an escort through the air terminal Building.
- The air terminal building has Red Coat Host Volunteers which are stationed at the Information Desk located in the Arrivals area. They are easily identified by their bright red blazer and are available to offer assistance or locate a Commissionaire if required. Hours of operation are Monday - Saturday 8:30 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. (Thursday and Friday in the Summer to 8:00 pm) and Sundays 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Read more information about our Red Coat Volunteer Hosts.
- Wheelchair service is available by the air carrier from the check-in area to the departure gate and onto the aircraft. Advance notice to the Air Carrier when making the flight reservation is helpful. Electric cart service is not available.
- Wheelchairs are located in the departures check-in area and identified on our Air Terminal Building Map.
- Accessible inter-terminal transportation is not applicable at Victoria International Airport. There is only one air terminal.
- Escort passes for someone who is not travelling with a person with a disability but needs to provide additional assistance to the passenger to the departure gate is available. The escort must have valid photo identification and will be required to clear the Security Screening Checkpoint. He or she is also subject to the same security screening requirements as the traveller. The airlines are responsible for administering the program with the support of Victoria Airport Authority.
- Our lower passenger departure lounge gate counters are equipped with hearing loops. These are designed to wirelessly send sound directly to a person's hearing aids while eliminating background noise.
- The air terminal building is equipped with one TTY phone located in the arrivals area.
- All telephones have heightened transmission capabilities for the hearing impaired.
- The air terminal building is equipped with large signage with contrasting colours.
- Braille signage is located at washroom entrances and in the elevator.
Relieving Areas for Service Animals
- There are two areas designated as relieving areas for service animals on the grass berm located directly across from the air terminal building. These areas are equipped with waste bags and receptacles.
- The pet relief areas are identified on our Air Terminal Building Map.
- There is a designated pet relief washroom located in the lower passenger departure lounge.
- Washrooms are equipped with accessible features such as wheelchair accessible stalls equipped with toilet seat back support, support bars and emergency call button/alarms, automated soap and paper towel dispensers and waste receptacles at appropriate heights for wheelchair accessibility and braille signage.
- Washrooms are located in all passenger service areas of the air terminal building.
- An accessible washroom located in the lower passenger departure lounge is equipped with adult change table and hoist. Personal slings are required.
Accessible Local Ground Transportation
Other Accessibility Features
- An elevator provides access to the second floor Administrative Offices and the third floor Eagles Landing Observation Lounge.
- All ATM's are equipped with tactile markers.
- The air terminal building is equipped with baggage belt start-up alarms and flashing lights.
- Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
- To learn about the dispute resolution services offered by the CTA or to submit an accessibility complaint, click here.
- Take Charge of your Travel - A Guide For Persons With Disabilities
- Air Travel Accessibility Regulations